1. ChemToolBox is packed full of useful reference values and calculators. The calculators include dilution, molarity, mass/molar fractions, temp and pressure plus more. A ton of unit converters and tables of SI units and constants are clearly laid out in tabbed sections. Other resources include tables of solution properties (general chemical properties, miscibility, polarity, NMR and mass. spec. values), solutions properties (acid/base pKa, pH colour indicators, fluorophore excitation/emission maxima, salts solubility), biochemical references (info on amino acids, nitrogen bases, carbohydrates and fatty acids, genetic code converter and a section of practical SDS-PAGE info). A fun interactive periodic table containing pictures of elements is also included as well as many more useful resources. The program hasn’t been updated for a few years but still serves as a useful offline resource.
2. Calc-lab is an online calculator for numerical computations. It can be used for simple arithmetic and algebra through to more complex calculus expressions. It has a minimalist layout which allows you to define multiple variables for on the run calculations, showing the solving process once the calculation is performed. Handy for keeping track of multiple lines of calculation without having to use pen and paper in the lab. Work can be saved to reduce time repeating your calculations and for record keeping purposes. The basic syntax can be learnt in a couple of minutes using the introductory help section.
3. Promega Biomath is a mobile app featuring a collection of simple calculators for dilutions and molarity, oligo Tm, as well as mass/molarity conversions for DNA and protein. The app is no-frills which makes it responsive and straight-forward. A useful resource for quick calculations at the lab bench.
Platforms: Android, iOS, Windows (requires Adobe Air)
4. Molarity calculator by Sigma-Aldrich is another no-frills application that gives you simple molarity calculations at the lab bench using the mobile app or a web browser. The app has 3 calculator sections – acid & base molarity, general molarity and stock dilutions. The acid & base molarity calculator is particularly useful as it has a list of common acids and bases which you can select to pre-fill values of density, formula weight and weight percentage, giving additional information on how to prepare the solutions.
Platforms: Android, iOS and website (browser)
5. Qiagen App contains a collection of simple calculators and converters for mobile devices. The application gives you mobile access to fundamental chemistry and physics calculators for unit conversion, buffer and reagent preparations, alligation, centrifugation RCF to RPM amongst others. There are also several molecular biology calculators for simple and rapid calculation of protein properties from single letter sequence, conversion of oligomer concentrations and other nucleic acid calculator tools. The app additionally contains some basic protocols such for buffer preparation, culture media recipes and protein determinations.
Platforms: Android, iOS